Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Robert Kustra Responds


During an editorial board meeting with the Idaho Statesman, I was asked to comment on Coach Petersen’s statements from the WAC media day regarding the future of the Boise State-Idaho rivalry game. I agree with the Coach in this matter that if the game continues, it should be held in Boise and not a home and home series. I think there are good reasons for that position.

I’m afraid their questions hit a sore spot, however, as someone had sent me the recent “Reasons to Hate Boise State” article from the U of I student newspaper.   It troubles me that the occasion of an annual football game causes the air waves and Internet to be full of disparagement of Boise State’s students, faculty and programs, year after year.  I have tremendous pride in Boise State, and my response was harsher than I intended.

I have enjoyed my working relationship with U of I’s president, Dr. Duane Nellis, and the friendship of many of the University of Idaho’s alumni in the Valley.  I think Idaho’s universities are working together better than ever, thanks in no small measure to the encouragement and leadership of the members of the State Board of Education. 

I hope that all of us can demonstrate civility and sportsmanship for the rivalry game this year and remember that the two universities share mutual goals of excellence in education, affordability, and pride as an Idaho institution of higher learning.  As it should be, I plan to leave the scheduling of football games to our very able athletic director, Gene Bleymaier, as I have for the past seven years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment