Thursday, June 10, 2010

Broncos get commitment from Texas Defensive End


The Boise State Broncos have received an oral commitment from defensive end Sam Ukwuachu from Pearland, Texas.

Ukwuachu, the 2nd player to commit after Jimmy Laughrea, is 6 foot 5 and 203 pounds.  He was co-defensive MVP in his district.

He was recruited byover a dozen other schools, including Baylor, SMU, Northwestern, Illinois, Colorado, Virginia, Louisville, Houston, Utah State, Kansas and North Texas.


"He's a guy with a lot of potential," Pearland High coach Tony Heath said. "... He has a great work ethic. He's very quick very fast off the edge. He plays with really good technique."

Boise State linebackers coach Jeff Choate and defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski visited Pearland during the school's spring football practices. They convinced Ukwuachu to choose Boise State over Louisville and Illinois, two of his top contenders.

"I just know how much they believe in me, how much they pursued me," Ukwuachu said. "I like to play for people who know I can do it. That's what convinced me that I wanted to play with these coaches."

Ukwuachu plans to visit Boise for the first time later this month. He already is familiar with the Broncos.

"I've been watching them for a long time," he said. "I was always a fan of Boise State."

He began playing football in seventh grade but his college dreams date even farther back.

"I've been wanting to go (Division I) since I was little," he said. "That's all I wanted to do, play football and go to school. This is a dream come true for me. It's surreal. It feels like I was just a freshman yesterday. Now all this is happening. I just can't believe it."

Thanks to Chadd Cripe of the Idaho Statesman for his report and to ESPN & OBNUG.


No comments:

Post a Comment